I worked to help put my ex-husband through school. Am I entitled to alimony from this?

Related Ads

Talk to a Local Divorce Lawyer

Enter Your Zip Code to Connect with a Lawyer Serving Your Area

searchbox small


My husband recently divorced me, and I am in the process of trying to get alimony. Is it possible for me to get payments to help me finish my college degree, which I was in the process of getting until we started our family?


Alimony payments can be used to help further your education. What you’re likely looking for is to get additional money to be used to pay for tuition, rather than merely using your alimony support awarded by the court. You can petition the court in your alimony request for educational support like tuition payments.

The court will likely investigate the claim and determine whether or not it would be proper to award tuition allotments in your alimony order. If you had given up your education to care for the kids, and the court believes that educational training with provide you with better opportunities to support yourself, it may be inclined to order it as rehabilitative alimony. You should speak with an experienced divorce attorney to ensure your educational rights are protected.

This article is provided for informational purposes only. If you need legal advice or representation,
click here to have an attorney review your case .

This site does not provide legal advice and users of this site should not interpret any of the information presented here as legal advice. The information provided merely conveys general information related to commonly asked legal questions. We are not a law firm and the employees responding to questions are not acting as your legal attorney. You should ultimately consult with a lawyer for your case.