My husband was married when we got married. How do I get a divorce?


My husband and I have been married for six months, but I just found out that he is still married to the woman I thought was his ex-wife.  How do I go about divorcing him?


In most states you do not need a divorce because your marriage to your “husband” was never legal.  However, states may vary slightly in how this issue would be handled.  In some states you may still need to seek an annulment, while others will consider the marriage void, or that the marriage never existed, and will not require any formal termination. 

The first step you should take in resolving your issue is to seek the advice of a divorce attorney in your state.  An attorney will be able to advise you of what the laws are and what needs to be filed to dissolve your marriage.  If you need an annulment, you will file a Petition for Annulment, and, if it is granted, it will be ordered that a valid marriage never existed.


Talk to a Lawyer

Want to talk to an attorney? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you